Leading by example, do you have what it takes?
Attitude is a key factor in determining and identifying the ups and downs in our life, and the same is true of you and where you work. We can only reach as high as our attitude will take us.
Attitude can be a very good or bad thing, depending on how we utilize it. As a business owner, if an employee is enthusiastic about the job, the results show progress, growth and increased morale. If an organization has a collective positive attitude, the chances for success then increase exponentially and, as an employee, a positive business atmosphere is necessary for a true team spirit.
Employees with managerial leadership willing to guide them into success more often than not, exhibit the positive attitude needed for the entire organization to prosper. A good leader needs to set an example with an attitude that reflects the organization’s true orientation relative to its goals.
If you want your leaders to remain or become a positive force in the workplace, you need a strategy to get your managers to lead by example including providing clear and specific training and direction and listening and responding to concerns. Here are some key areas to helping develop this strategy within yourself as well as helping your managers self-diagnose when they are being good examples in the workforce:
- Ask people you consider positive forces how they maintain their attitudes.
- Survey your use of language, and change it when necessary. This includes changing your negative words and thoughts into positive ones.
- Appreciate yourself. Accept yourself for who you are, not who you ought to be.
- Don’t worry about something that is in the past. If there is a lesson to be learned, learn it and move on; accept that we all make mistakes.
- Realize that how you feel about something is your choice.
Changing your attitude takes practice, but finding the positives in situations is worth the effort. Would you rather spend time working next to a pessimist or an optimist? Would your co-workers prefer to have you complain or tackle challenges with enthusiasm? It might not be easy, but it is simple. Only you have control over your attitude.